TOPIC # 4 - ARTS CONTRIBUTIONS BY INDIGENOUS PEOPLE
There are many Indigenous artists throughout Canada. Reconciliation will bring more Indigenous voices and contributions to to the world stage and to Canada and Indigenous Artists will create a richer experience for us all.
In class when we discuss colonialism and racism we also address how to remedy racism. One of the three main ways we can undo racism is by:
‘bringing the affected group inside positions & circles of influence & wealth’
Since arts and entertainment are such an influential circle in society they have a large role to play in reconciliation. In the past, the injustices towards Indigenous People were made invisible to us, as were their voices and contributions. In the arts we can change that reality. Many arts organizations and people are working towards that goal. In your Powerpoint presentation celebrate the artistic contributions of Indigenous artists with your class and highlight moments of reconciliation.
For your presentation select from:
- Are Indigenous People more invisible than visible in the art scene? Why do you think so?
- Indigenous people have always been involved in the arts. Find examples in history.
- Highlight Indigenous contributions to the arts in the past or present. (Choose from any art streams to highlight artists such as: writers, actors, filmmakers, dancers, comedians, story-tellers, painters, sculptors, graffiti artists, etc.)
- You can also research the importance of drums as artistic, cultural and spiritual component of indigenous communities.
- How can the arts play a role in reconciliation and justice? Show examples.