TOPIC #8- FASHION
CULTURAL APPROPRIATION & RACISM IN FASHION
Fashion, just like entertainment, the arts and sports often support the views and practises of those in power. In the US and Canada, fashion has often reinforced stereotypes of ‘being in power over Indigenous People’ and rarely were Indigenous designers included or supported by the fashion industry.
For your presentation:
- Highlight examples of racism and negative stereotypes in fashion
- Define what is cultural appropriation
- Find examples of cultural appropriation of Indigenous culture
- Show examples of Indigenous People standing up against this
- Show examples of fashion tackling colonialism & racism
- Show examples of Indigenous fashion designers’ contribution to the industry
Below are only a few examples to get you started on your research. You can include them or find different examples and sources.